Sunday, December 20, 2020

Elverson United Methodist Church, Elverson, PA

 

This photo was taken in the beginning of August 2019 by me when I visited my friend in Elverson, PA. I like the building and the design of the sign. When I first moved to Morris, MN my friend and I would set up signs for the local church at the nearby high school on Sundays. We had to take the signs down as well. I am not zealously religious as I used to be anymore, but I still enjoy church buildings and other views on life. I have never studied the Methodist mindset before. 

This is a brick building as you can see with a very beautiful doorway. Elverson, PA is about an hour northwest of Philadelphia, PA. Elverson is also the hometown of the lead game designer of the video game Diablo III. As a kid I played Diablo I on computer with a friend of mine. As an adult I got to see the hometown of Diablo III's creator. I did not know what this town was famous for before I went to visit my good friend. When I was there I looked up on the internet what the town was known for. 

Elverson was built in 1911 as a historical site. I have some photos of the Historical town signs. 1911 is a big year for the town. Thing is, my parent's house was built in 1910 and the town isn't named as a historical site. However, it has native american artifacts and a totem pole at the county museum. 

I never realized how important the relationships between white settlers and the natives were in the past. There are a lot of native americans in my area. My soccer coach was native and so were his children. I have met a lot more natives as an adult. Most are super angry about us white people still being on their land.

I have only just begun to wake up to the fact that I live in the same land of the native american. I have studied some belief systems of the naitves and I have a few books on the history of the french in my area of the united states as well as some reading material that teaches their languages. I live in Morris, MN where the local university has native american tribal sigils in their building. They have a pow wow here every year where members of tribes from the area come together and celebrate. Us white people are invited every year. 

1/4/2021 ADDED. I am still very happy I was able to go to elverson and the Philadelphia area in the summer of 2019. I enjoyed every second of it. I am still enjoying the time I was able to spend there. I am grateful for the opportunity and the friendship I have there. 

The church here is very beautiful and the methodist mindset is very unique to the United States. Catholicism started in Europe 🇪🇺 while the protestant ideas started in Europe the off shoots and brand new ideas of what the Bible is really talking about started in the USA. No one really knows what the Bible says these days and it really is just babble. However we try and it is beautiful along with our hunger for more football and baseball ⚾️ .


No comments:

Post a Comment